Thursday, July 26, 2007

Dharmaduta Team on Karuna Appeal

The Karuna Trust is a Buddhist charity which finances a variety of projects, mainly in India. Inspired by the legacy of Dr Ambedkar, it focuses on helping the oppressed classes, largely ex-untouchables, regain their dignity, and lead sustainable lives. They run fundraising appeals in which volunteers go alone from door to door asking people for regular financial support. Many fundraisers become aware that, apart from the altruistic dimension, the door-knocking appeals also have a strong impact on them personally, and can be an intense and valuable spiritual experience. In this article I want to tell you about the six weeks of fundraising we Dharmaduta students did in London in May/June this year. I also want to share some of my personal experiences and reflections as a Buddhist fundraiser during this time.

For the duration of the appeal, Manidhamma, Matt, Thea, Will, and I stayed in a rented house close to Seven Sisters underground and train station in north-east London. We soon settled in and during the first week we were given an introduction to door knocking. We each made ourselves familiar with our assigned patch - the area where we would each fundraise during the weeks ahead.

The training by the experienced Karuna team took place most mornings and continued throughout the appeal. It consisted of a colourful mix of reportings-in, reflections and exercises, including role play, to support us in becoming more effective fundraisers. We had lots of fun, although for most of us the process was sometimes quite challenging and difficult. It was very fruitful for my personal growth. I had to work through a series of attitudes and habits that have not only been obstacles to effective door-knocking, but also seem to have hindered me in living my life more fully. For example, I had to deal with my tendency to see suffering in the world abstractly, anonymously, and distantly. I discovered how little I was prepared to take the suffering of others (e.g. people in India) on board, let alone being emotionally engaged with it. But being on the appeal, how could I possibly convince people to give generously while I harboured this attitude? I had to face up to my lack of compassion, and a process of engaging more deeply with the suffering of others began. At the same time I became more aware of my own inner pain and sadness.

Fundraising is about connecting with human beings. Only when a positive and open connection is established does the fundraiser have the chance to address the householder's caring and generous sides. It is about being really open to the person in front of you. But I found myself being anxious, and consequently closed, rather than open and able to engage fully. Again, I could see that this has been a recurring pattern in my life. Very often my shyness and anxiety has made me close the doors of opportunity. How sad I felt in those moments! Going from door to door I became more aware how superficially I live many moments of my life.

I started reflecting on conditioned arising and imagined the flow of conditioned phenomena. I thought, when there is no past or future, and life happens only in the present moment, I can - no, I have to - use the moments at the door, standing in front of an unknown human being, to train myself in remaining aware of my tension and anxiety, while still being open to the situation. In that way, I discovered door-knocking to be a tremendously powerful practise. In short conversations with householders I got immediate feedback on whether I was able to establish good contact. In addition, I could start the being-open exercise again and again afresh – at each new door.

Being on the appeal with the support of the Karuna team, we did not have to deal with our personal stuff on our own; we could share and work with our feelings and reflections in a sensitive and helpful atmosphere. Manjudeva led a workshop on focusing, and Jayachitta did a weekend on clowning with us. We had lots of fun! Many thanks to all of you for the opportunity to be on the Karuna Appeal!

In particular I feel grateful to the many people who opened their doors and hearts to us. In the evening, after coming home from our patch, we reported back to each other some of the interesting people we had encountered, and where we had been invited to share a bit of life with them. I have been left greatly inspired, thoughtful and overwhelmed by so much spontaneous generosity and wonderful good-will in the streets of London.

Sunayaka